Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lemon Basil Caper Vinaigrette

One of the guys I work with in the kitchen, Mr. Robert,  brought some fresh basil from his garden into work while I was off.  When I came in, he told me about the basil and that he had it soaking in some olive oil on the back line.  He had figured to make a dressing with it for a lunch special.  We did.  The following day our lead line cook, Ms. Brenda, and I were thinking of what to run for specials that day. We had gotten in a lot of salmon that day and I thought a grilled salmon salad would be a nice lunch special.   I had remembered the basil vinaigrette I made the day before and decided to modify it with capers.  It was excellent.  The salad comprised of baby spinach, red cabbage, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, boiled egg, and char grilled salmon (6-8oz fillet).  This dressing would be great on any grilled fish and possibly chicken.  Even if you are not a big fan of capers, I know you will be pleasantly surprised with the well balanced subtle flavors... I know I was.


LEMON BASIL CAPER VINAIGRETTE

PREPARATION
1.5 CUP RICE WINE VINEGAR
12 EA FRESH BASIL LEAVES
2 TBSP BROWN SUGAR
1 TBSP CAPERS - DRAINED
1 TSP FRENCH'S YELLOW MUSTARD
1 TSP KOSHER SALT
1 TSP BLACK PEPPER
1 EA LEMON - ZEST AND JUICE
2 CUPS EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

INSTRUCTIONS
  • PLACE ALL INGREDIENTS IN BLENDER EXCEPT OLIVE OIL
  • COVER BLENDER AND BLEND ON HIGH UNTIL SMOOTH
  • REMOVE CENTER OF COVER AND SLOWLY DRIZZLE 1 OZ OF OIL INTO BLENDER WHILE ON HIGH
  • BLEND FOR 10 SECONDS
  • DRIZZLE ANOTHER 1 OZ OF OIL INTO BLENDER WHILE ON HIGH
  • BLEND FOR 10 SECONDS
  • WITH BLENDER ON HIGH SLOWLY DRIZZLE THE REMAINING OLIVE OIL INTO BLENDER UNTIL DRESSING EMULSIFIES

PREP TIME - 10 MINUTES
YIELDS - 1 QUART

No comments:

Post a Comment