Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Butter Beans with Andouille Coins

I really enjoy the one pot bean dishes because not only are they financially friendly, but they are relatively simple to prepare.  Living in the New Orleans area, I always ate Red Beans on Mondays.  I grew up with my grandparents on a very modest income.  My grandmother would have to make economical dishes that would feed my grandfather, myself, and everyone else that would pop in.  We had a lot of dishes like these and I'm glad.  I worked for a Chef in South Carolina that believed in the K.I.S.S. method of cooking (Keep It Simple Stupid.)  Dishes like these fit that bill.  Simple ingredients, simple techniques, extraordinary flavor.  As an entree you could serve this with a side of scoop of rice, grits, or mashed potatoes.  As a side it pairs well with fried chicken or grilled pork chops, 

BUTTER BEANS WITH ANDOUILLE COINS

PREPARATION
1 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL
1/2 LB (1 LINK) ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE
2 EA 15 OZ CANS BUTTER BEANS 
1 CUP GUIDRY'S FRESH CUTS SEASONING (TRINITY)
1 TSP SALT
1/2 TSP GRANULATED GARLIC
1/2 TSP GRANULATED ONION
1/2 TSP CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TSP HERBS DE PROVENCE
2 EA BAY LEAVES
1 CUPS CHICKEN STOCK OR BROTH

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
  • CUT THE ANDOUILLE LINK INTO DIAGANOL SLICES 1/2 INCH THICK
  • IN MEDIUM SOUP POT, HEAT OIL OVER MEDIUM HEAT 1-2 MINUTES
  • ADD ANDOUILLE COINS AND COOK 1 MINUTE ON EACH SIDE UNTIL BROWNED
  • REMOVE ANDOUILLE AND SET ASIDE
  • ADD TRINITY AND SALT
  • SWEAT TRINITY UNTIL ONION START TO BECOME CLEAR
  • ADD BUTTER BEANS AND SAUSAGE - STIR WELL
  • ADD DRIED SEASONINGS, STIR WELL,  AND COOK FOR ADDITIONAL 3-5 MINUTES
  • ADD CHICKEN STOCK, STIR WELL, AND INCREASE HEAT TO HIGH TO BRING TO BOIL
  • REDUCE HEAT TO LOW AND COVER
  • COOK ON LOW, STIRRING FREQUENTLY, FOR 2 HOURS
  • SERVE HOT

PREP TIME - 2 HOURS 15 MINUTES
SERVES - 4-6 PEOPLE

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment