Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Black Eyed Pea and Ham Soup

While at work yesterday, I was called out to the floor at the request of one of our members.  She had told our cafe manager that she liked the black-eyed pea soup we ran last week and was curious if she could get the recipe.  Our manager had said that she figured it would not be a problem since its creator had an internet recipe blog.  I met with this very sweet young lady and her beautiful son while she lunched on my Louisiana Crawfish Quiche Muffins.  I was very flattered that she and her son enjoyed both the quiche and soup and was happy to oblige with the recipe.  I told her that it would serve her better for me to type up the recipe at home rather than "spit-balling" one on the spot and that I might blog it is as well.  Turns out she is an avid "facebookie" and "liked" my Everyday Gumbo page on the spot.  That was honestly the highlight of my day.  Compliments are always nice, but that wasn't the actual highlight.  As we spoke, I watched her feed her son some of the meal that I had prepared.  It served as a reminder of why I feel the way I do about cooking for others.  As a professional cook, chef, whatever, sometimes you lose sight of what a personal, intimate experience dining out is.  How can that be better illustrated by a mother feeding her child from her own plate, sharing a meal, bonding, and nurturing each other.  I felt very lucky to have shared that moment with them.  So, here is the recipe I promised.  Every time I prepare black-eyed peas I will be humbly reminded of my new friend and handsome son.

BLACK EYED PEA AND HAM SOUP

PREPARATION

2 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL
2 EA 15OZ CANS BLACK EYED PEAS
1 LB DICED COOKED HAM
1 CUP GUIDRY'S FRESH CUT CREOLE SEASONING (TRINITY)
1/2 TSP SALT
1 EA CARROT - MEDIUM DICE
1 QT HAM OR PORK STOCK (CAN SUBSTITUTE VEGETABLE STOCK)
1/2 TSP DRIED THYME
1 TSP BASIL
1 TBSP CREOLE SEASONING
1 TSP GRANULATED GARLIC
1 TSP GRANULATED ONION
3 EA BAY LEAVES

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

  • HEAT OIL OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT IN 4 QUART SOUP POT FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MINUTE
  • ADD HAM, STIRRING OFTEN UNTIL BROWNED ABOUT 3 MINUTES
  • ADD TRINITY, CARROTS, AND SALT.  CONTINUE COOKING UNTIL ONION BECOME TRANSLUCENT ABOUT 3- 5 MINUTES
  • ADD STOCK TO POT AND SCRAPE THE BOTTOM OF THE POT TO LOOSEN ANY PARTICLES 
  • ADD BLACK-EYED PEAS AND DRIED SEASONINGS
  • BRING TO BOIL STIRRING OFTEN
  • REDUCE HEAT TO LOW AND SIMMER STIRRING OFTEN FOR AND ADDITIONAL 60 MINUTES
  • AS YOU STIR THE SOUP, RUN THE BACK SIDE OF THE SPOON AGAINST THE SIDES OF THE POT SMASHING SOME OF THE BLACK-EYED PEAS.  THIS RELEASES THEIR STARCH THICKENING THE SOUP.
  • REMOVE FROM HEAT. SERVE HOT

PREP TIME - 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
YIELD - APPROXIMATELY 3 QUARTS

No comments:

Post a Comment